Friday, December 01, 2017

Peek-A-Boo

Peek-A-Boo!
Red Velvet recently came back for the third time this year with their second full album Perfect Velvet. The music video for their promotional song Peek-A-Boo was really interesting and today's design is inspired by it!





Peek-A-Boo definitely reflected Red Velvet's colours with an interesting concept and a fun beat, so I had a lot of fun re-watching the music video while planning this design. This was actually a pretty easy design to plan; I had 6 different nail ideas to choose from, so all I had to do was decide on the top 5.
I ran into a little bit of trouble with the spacing of the "R" on the thumbnail, but I think I managed make it look okay regardless. I also had a bit of an issue with the middle nail and had to rewrite the word "pizza" three times before it turned out looking alright. This definitely wasn't the nail that I foresaw being this issue in this design. I figured that the hand on the ring finger nail would give me the biggest headache, but surprisingly I managed to paint an entire hand in one go while taking three tries to write "pizza."  Who would have thought.

As one of my followers on Insta pointed out, if you're unfamiliar with Red Velvet or Kpop in general you may be struggling a little bit to find a connection between all the different elements depicted in this design. Hopefully the collage below gives you a bit of an idea of where my inspiration came from (or you can check out the full music video here):




As you might be able to tell from the collage, the design on the thumb isn't actually inspired by a scene in the music video, rather I took it from one of RV's comeback stage intro VCRs.

Even though I said the hand on the ring finger worked out in one attempt, it was still a test of my abilities. Hands have always been something that I struggled with, whether it be drawing with pencil on paper or with polish on nails, so I was a little nervous going into this. While I did paint a bunch of tiny little fists for EXO's Power logo not that long ago, I haven't painted realistic hands in over two years. The last time was for my SHINee Married to the Music design, and I ended up using the ring finger nail from that set as shading reference for this design.




If you're interested in recreating this design or just want to see the process behind it, I filmed a tutorial for it which you can check out below! If you do recreate this design for yourself please remember to credit me and tag your pics with #looknyanails so that I can see them!



Enjoy!

Products Used:
CND - Barefoot Bash
CND - Be Demure
CND - Clear Topcoat
CND - Honey Darlin'
CND - Naughty or Vice
CND - Peach of Mind
CND - Sugar Cane
CND - Tangerine Rush
Essie - Dress to Kilt
Essie - Grow Stronger Base Coat
Essie - I'm Addicted
Essie - Licorice
Essie - Master Plan
Essie - Mink Muffs
Essie - Mixtaupe
Essie - Mojito Madness
Essie - Style Cartel
GOSH - Lazy Green
Joe Fresh - Plaster
OPI - My Vampire is Buff
OPI - Primarily Yellow
Revlon - Burgundy Flirt
Sally Hansen - Eel Skin
Sally Hansen - White On
Serendipity Polish - Big Red Bow
Serendipity Polish - Pink Poinsettia
Reeves Acrylic Paint (Medium Yellow)

xo,
Becca.

No comments:

Post a Comment